Tuesday, 17 April 2018

Countable and uncountable Nouns and Quantifiers

This is in units 9A and 9B.

The vocabulary is about food (nice topic) and the grammar, countable and uncountable nouns (not so nice a topic).
Countable and uncountable nouns work in a similar way to Spanish. You need to remember, though, the following:
 - toast is uncountable even if you eat two or twenty pieces so you say "I had coffee and some toast for breakfast" (tampoco hace falta dar más detalles). If you think you are going to forget, please, have cereal for breakfast.
- fruit is uncountable as so is bread.
- trousers and jeans are always plural but you can say a pair of trousers if you prefer
- people is always plural
- somebody/anybody/nobody is always singular

With countable nouns we ask with HOW MANY (How many tomatoes are there in the fridge? If there are only two, could you get some more from the shop?)

With uncountable nouns we ask with HOW MUCH (How much free time do you have?).

The short answers are as follows:
A lot
quite a lot
not much (uncoun)/not many (coun)
none
The long answers are as follows:
I have a lot of time
I have quite a lot of time
I don't have much time/ I don't have many flowers
I don't have any time/ I don't have any flowers

So... how much free time do you have?




And some links...

https://www.curso-ingles.com/ejercicios-ingles/contable.php http://www.ompersonal.com.ar/ELEMENTARY/unit11/page2.htm http://learn-english-online.org/Lesson37/Lesson37.htm http://saberingles.com.ar/curso/lesson07/04c.html FOOD http://www.languageguide.org/english/vocabulary/food-new/ And ... some listenings and readings online
Listening activities:
The Barbecue http://www.ompersonal.com.ar/ELEMENTARY/unit11/page4.htm My Favourite Restaurant http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~adelegc/listening/fav_restaurant/fav_restaurant.html Ron's Favorite Foods http://www.elllo.org/english/0901/T940-Ron-Food.htm A Holiday to Singapore http://www.members.iinet.net.au/~adelegc/listening/holiday/holiday.html Burguer http://esl-lab.com/fastfood/fastfoodrd1.htm Reading activities: Teen Drinking http://www.cdlponline.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=activity1&topicID=3&storyID=108 A Hundred Billion Hamburgers http://www.tolearnenglish.com/free/text/archives/mcdo.htm The Young Tourist http://www.csdraveurs.qc.ca/theenglishprofessor/interview3.htm